Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

#179 Repurposed Solar Light Turtle

Or would it be "Upcycled"? 
I went out to the backyard one day and found this:

The remains of one of my four funky solar lights.  It didn't matter to me that only one of the four still works (luckily this wasn't it!)  I just think these are really nifty looking.  I am blaming my 86 pound moose of a dog for this even though I didn't see it happen.  Oh well, life goes on.  After recycling the battery and disposing of all the innards, I decided that I was going to make a turtle using the glass.

It took me a while to decide what I was actually going to do.  First I thought I would make a body out of clay and use a tealight to illuminate the shell, but then I realized that wouldn't work, there is no ventilation and the candle would go out.  If that didn't happen, it would probably get too hot and break the glass.  Then I thought I'd use a battery operated tealight!  Great in theory but the hole in the bottom of the globe is too small.  I did end up using a battery operated tealight but I built it into the body of my turtle.  I used that cool clay I found that feels like funfoam when it has dried.


My seventeen year old was playing with my clay while I made this and made herself (what she calls) a seal balancing a white ball on it's nose.  I couldn't resist adding it to the photo.  She clearly gets her artistic ability from me.  Her dad is good at this stuff...

I tried to get a picture of it lit up.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. omgosh that is soooo cute!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy.
    I keep hoping that I will get better at all this visual arts type stuff (modelling clay, drawing etc.) That doesn't seem to be the case though. Luckily, I am still having fun!

    ReplyDelete