Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

#23 Shrinky Turtle



Last week sometime I did a search for Do-It-Yourself Shrink Art.  Remember Shrinky-Dinks?  I wanted to make my own.  I remembered doing some years ago with the kids that had something to do with styrofoam trays, you know, the kind that meat comes on from the grocery store.  While I was searching, I learned that you can also use plastic that has the number 6 inside that recycling triangle. I found information on several different sites and didn't make a note of any of them, so I can't direct you there.  I searched "DIY shrink art".   I got my hands on some of that plastic today.  It took me three tries to make this little turtle.  My first attempt was wayyyyyy too small.  My second attempt was a bit of a better size, but the shape was all wrong.  I asked hubby for help and he suggested that I trace the bottom of the wooden turtle that he made me.  He's such a smartie!

So, here is the wooden turtle.  I traced it out onto my sheet of plastic, so you can see how large it started out!  I coloured it in with Sharpies and then I took an ordinary one-hole hole punch and made a hole in the turtle's front foot. 

Then I put it on a piece of foil and 'cooked' it in a preheated 350 degree toaster oven.  I watched it twist and curl just like I remember Shrinky-Dinks doing. Then when it flattened out again I knew it was done.  I didn't time it, but I would guess it took no longer than 30 seconds.  Here is how it turned out.

And just to give you an idea of it's size, here it is on my  hand.  I think I am going to turn it into a cell phone charm.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment