Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

#204 Helpful Turtle

A long time ago, these adorable photo holders showed up in my email.  I found them a touch expensive and I also thought that I could probably make them myself.  Since then I have half-heartedly looked for the perfect animal figure for this project.  I was hoping to find a turtle, but it didn't have to be.  I haven't been able to find a suitable figurine.... Until now!  I was in a dollar store today and they had a bag full of turtles.   Well, five turtles, but still..  And for one dollar!!!!  SOLD.
Once home, I got out a utility knife and started sawing at the turtle.  I stopped after a few minutes because I realized that it would easily take me a week to get through this and I knew that Hubby would have a tool that would make short work of it.  When he got home I asked about it and he set me up quickly with a band saw.  Luckily for me, he is a smart guy and he had the turtle secured to a piece of wood so that it would remain stable during the cutting.  I never thought of that and would have wrecked it for sure.  A few minutes later, I had two turtle halves!  Did you know that these little rubber animals are hollow?  I didn't.  I filled the hollow part with some light weight air dry clay and added magnets and now I have a cute little turtle photo holder!
My oldest had a cute photo of her and her sister handy and loaned it to me so I could get a good picture for you.








She also thought this particular turtle reminded her of Littlefoot from The Land Before Time, so she put it in the fridge to munch on some 'green food' (that is what the dinosaurs in the movie call vegetation).  Foolish, funny kid! 



Side note:  I find this particularly funny because we got her to try broccoli as a toddler by telling her it was 'green food' and that Littlefoot eats it!
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. This makes me think of the magic trick of slicing the assistant in half.

    Love the broccoli story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bag Full of Turtles!! That certainly doesn't happen everyday... What a lucky find!

    By chance did you notice if they have a "Bag Full of Hands" ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea!!
    I read about this blog in the flow magazine (projects calendar)!
    Greetings
    Eline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johannah, I'd be a TERIBLE magician... I really did saw it in half!
    Tricia, I can honestly say I have never seen a bag of hands.
    Eline, thank you for visiting! I was mentioned in a magazine??? How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ange - I thought of your bag of plastic turtles and your turtle photo holders when I saw this project on another blog...

    http://cfabbridesigns.com/blog/?p=7738

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Tricia! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete