Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

#120 RIP iPod

A good portion of my day has been spent trying to repair destroying my oldest daughter's iPod Classic.

:(

About a month ago her beloved iPod quit on her.  I have spent weeks researching iPod repair online and asking questions and pricing parts.  I had an epiphany over the weekend and remembered that we already have a non-working iPod of the exact same type in the house.  Would I be lucky enough and the part that is needed for our daughter's iPod still be a good part in the other one?  It looked good!  So today I took a deep breath and started to take the iPod apart.  No easy task.  I spent about 45 minutes, maybe more like an hour doing it.  I was being super careful and trying not to scratch it too much.  I finally got her iPod apart with what I think was a minimum of mangling, and very carefully unhooked the battery cable.  I removed the bad hard drive and  replaced it with what we think is a good hard drive from her dad's deceased iPod.  I was so proud of myself!  I was going to be my daughter's hero because she really really loves and misses her iPod.  She doesn't have the money to replace it and doesn't want to anyway.  She wants this one

Sorry Sweetheart.  Believe me, my heart was in the right place.

When I went to reattach the battery cable, the unthinkable happened.  The port (?) that the cable goes into came out!  I guess I lifted the little part that secures the cable with a little more enthusiasm than intended.  I managed to break it off completely.

Now I have to do more research.  If I am lucky, I will be able to trade the good part from Dad's iPod with the one I broke.  But I am not holding out much hope.  It doesn't look removable.  Well, I know it can be removed, but you know what I mean.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment